Help Children Read Proficiently, Make an EITC donation to CLI Today!
Don’t miss out on a great way for your business to invest in a proven way to help more Philadelphia children learn how to read proficiently by 3rd grade. Invest your Pennsylvania Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) credits with Children’s Literacy Initiative (CLI), an approved Educational Improvement Organization (EIO) for 2016-2017.
Since 2003, CLI has used EITC donations to provide educators in public and publicly funded charters with its validated program delivering classroom materials, training and coaching in effective practices for early literacy instruction “In CLI, the School District of Philadelphia has a partner to help achieve one of our anchor goals – 100% of 8‐year‐olds will read on grade level.” stated School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William Hite.
Current Focus & Need
CLI earmarked any 2016‐2017 EITC donations to support its Philadelphia Early Literacy System to serve:
- 6 Philadelphia schools (5 public, 1 charter)
- 65 K‐3rd grade teachers and school‐based staff
- 6 Principals
- 1,575 K-3rd grade students
The need for CLI intervention is critical, as Philadelphia 3rd grade results on the Pennsylvania State 2016 PSSA exams show, that:
- Less one-third of the School District of Philadelphia’s 3rd graders were proficient or advanced readers;
- Another third were “basic readers;” and
- Astoundingly, a more than a third of Philadelphia’s 3rd grade public school students scored “below basic” in reading.
An overwhelming body of academic research illustrates that children who do not read proficiently by the end of 3rd grade are more likely to leave school without a diploma.
Various organizations have validated CLI’s impact on educators and students:
- A three-year randomized control trial by American Institutes for Research found that CLI’s “intensive professional development and coaching program can be implemented with fidelity over multiple years and produce effects on teacher practice and student achievement in early elementary grades, despite common challenges.”
- Each year since 2008, the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for High Impact Philanthropy (CHIP) identified CLI as an “exemplar agent” in improving early literacy instruction and one of five national educational organizations in which invested dollars do the most good.
- In June 2016, CLI earned its fifth consecutive four star rating (out of four) by Charity Navigator for our adherence to good governance and fiscal responsibility.
About Pennsylvania’s Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) Program
The Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC) provides Pennsylvania companies with a tax credit up to 75% for a one year commitment and 90% for a two year commitment for contributing to non-profit educational organizations (EIO). Children’s Literacy Initiative is registered as an EIO for the 2016/17 school year.
To donate to Children’s Literacy Initiative using Pennsylvania’s EITC program, contact CLI External Relations Manager Janet Pinkerton at 215-561-4676, x142 or fill out the form below.