“What you do this day will have an impact on children yet unborn.” –Martin Luther King Jr.
Educators have the opportunity to explore quality literature and engage children in critical conversations around this topic. Books and conversation can be the spark that inspire children to actively stand up for change.
When you teach even our youngest learners that children, teenagers, and young adults were part of the Civil Rights Movement, it could spur action. People like Freeman Hrabowski, who at age 12 was arrested for marching in the 1963 Birmingham Children's Crusade, and Marilyn Hildreth who participated in a drug store sit-in as a child, were activists.
Amplify Black Joy
- How do you see yourself in the activists we read about?
- What did you learn about who you want to be?
- In what ways do you and your family celebrate your culture?
Connect Children to Their History
Connect the events of history to the lives of the children in yourclassrooms. Explore how the actions of the past shaped and continues to shape the lives of people now. Help children see how historical events connect to current events.
- How does your family talk about things that are not fair?
- How does your family talk about the Civil Rights issues that are happening today?
- What can we learn from the past that we can apply to today?
- How do you know when something is unfair?
- Thinking about Dr. King’s work, how would he address the events of today?
- What would our world look like today if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had lived and continued his work?
Understand and Dismantle Racism
- What were the civil rights activist fighting against and for?
- How does racism show up in our lives today?
- How did the strategies that activist used this past summer during Black Lives Matter protests compare to strategies used in the book we read?
- What does it mean to be an activist?
- As an activist, what can you do in your community to make the world better?
- As an activist, what strategies do you think would be most effective in making change?
MLK Day Book Collection
Ensure you stay up-to-date with the latest news, impact reports, donor events, and much more.