Make a gift. Empower a child.

Every child deserves the opportunity to achieve their dreams, and learning to read is a critical step in that journey.

Our 2019-20 School Year

By helping educators learn high-impact instructional strategies and nurturing dynamic professional learning communities, CLI builds lasting capacity in teachers and principals over time.
Students Served
Schools served
Educators Served
Books Distributed

Other Ways to Give

Walk into a CLI classroom and you immediately know it's a place to learn and grow. It's a place you wish every child had the opportunity to be. Your investment will enable CLI and its partners to normalize anti-racist, culturally sustaining early literacy instruction and catalyze generational impact at the onset of every Black and Latinx child's literacy journey.

Donate By Check

CLI welcomes your gift. Please make your check payable to “Children’s Literacy Initiative” and mail to:

Children’s Literacy Initiative
990 Spring Garden St., Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19123

Employer Matching Gifts

Many employers match charitable contributions made by current or former employees and their spouses. If your company is eligible, please contact your HR office.

Donate Stocks and Securities

Contact us for transmittal instructions if you wish to make a gift to CLI in the form of appreciated securities—publicly traded stocks, bonds and mutual fund shares.

Contact Us Today >>

Donate via Donor-Advised Fund

Click here to recommend a grant from your donor-advised fund (DAF) to support Children's Literacy Initiative.

Donor-Advised Funds >>

Foundation & Corporate Giving

For more information, please contact Janet Pinkerton at

Leave a Legacy

By choosing to support CLI through your bequests and estate plans, you are leaving a legacy that reflects your life - one that will transform future generations of powerful readers, writers and thinkers.

Trusted & Validated

For over 30 years, we have built on this foundation, continuing to grow and improve our methodologies to transform and strengthen classrooms, build teacher knowledge and capacity, and improve student literacy outcomes. Supporters can trust that their investments are valued and used to further the CLI mission, to transform early literacy.
  • Charity Navigator

    We’ve received a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, which means we’re accountable, transparent, and financially healthy! View the Report

  • GuideStar

    Sound fiscal management and a commitment to accountability and transparency have earned CLI a Gold Participant rating. View the Report

  • High Impact Philanthroy

    UPenn’s Center for High-Impact Philanthropy identified CLI as on organization where charitable dollars can do the most good. View the Report

Our Financials

For the 2019-20 fiscal year only 15% of all expenses went towards administration and fundraising costs, the remaining 85% were dedicated solely to the delivery of services to schools.



You can also view our most recent Form 990, and review our latest audit.

Federal Tax ID# 23-2515768

Transforming Classrooms for Racial Equity

Learning to read is a strong predictor of a student’s future academic achievement. Our goal is to close the literacy achievement gap between disadvantaged children and their more affluent peers. Stay informed with the work we are doing in communities nationwide.
    YES - I would like to sign up for The Read, CLI's quarterly e-newsletter and receive regular updates on CLI's work with students and educators, inspiring stories from Literacy Champions in the communities they service, and book recommendations to promote early literacy in school and at home.

Liberating, Innovating and Transforming Education

Join a movement of supporters and advocates for reading and literacy outcomes, and drive equity and racial justice in education
Literacy to Liberation >>